LMD NEW WORK: THE DJ SHADOW REMIX PROJECT





















This is my submission for the Dj Shadow Remix Project. On Shadow's website there is/was a calling for fans to submit art work for the cover of this upcoming album before March 31st (2010). I jumped at the opportunity, I've listened to Shadow for many years and the idea of creating a piece that reflects his music was very appealing. It took me a little while to nail a concept. I really had to stop myself from just diving in and creating some arbitrary mess that had no substance (but would have been fun anyway). I decided to concentrate on the idea of a remix and to try to visually define remix with a DJ Shadow flavour. I really wanted to avoid all the DJ clichés out there and in doing so started looking at old cassette tapes as a possible avenue, and the idea of a "mix tape" which was popular in DJ circles back in the day. I started collecting tapes and admiring their beautiful old designs from the 70s and 80s. I noted the feelings of nostalgia I got from tapes, probably associated with memories of my first cassette tapes. For the first 15 years of my life all the music I listened to was on cassette tapes. I've also felt nostalgia when listening to particular DJ Shadow tracks, and this was something I definitely wanted to explore in my submission. So eventually the idea of slicing, dicing and "remixing" old cassette tapes is what led to my final execution. The tapes I used are also my own design. I photographed old cassette tapes and redesigned the labels with a retro spin in illustrator and photoshop. Let's hope Shadow likes it.

Please feel free to tell me what you think of this design. Can you see it as an actual Dj Shadow cover?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

pretty good - thanks for that
www.solesides.com

LUKE MORGAN said...

Cheers bro.

Neil D said...

like the concept alot, defo better than some of the others i've seen

LUKE MORGAN said...

Thanks Neil, here's hoping shadow concurs.

Jerry C said...

Great work as usual...

LUKE MORGAN said...

Cheers Jerry!

decuja said...

I really think you hit the nail on the head with this, keep up the good work!

LUKE MORGAN said...

Cheers bud, they've chosen a different design but I'm keen to recycle this in some other way.

Post a Comment